Skip to main content

So there's this cat

I've always hated cats.

There were many strays around the neighborhood and Sharon has the impression that they are dirty and full of germs. She taught me that cats try to get close so that they can rub their grime on humans.

I didn't question that and have always stayed away.

In 2014, Jacky, who loves cats, sent me back to Singapore. He saw the many strays we had and we bought cat food to feed them.

He taught me that cats have a gland on their necks which will emit hormones. This hormone will allow them to "mark their territory" and feel more comfortable around; cats will only rub on humans that they like. 

That's beautiful.

I relearned and started to like playing with stray cats. Getting rubbed on feels really nice now that I know its true meaning. 


So there's this cat.

Cat is shy and doesn't like to be disturbed. But he looks at me like he wants to play. After a couple of interactions, I realised that the trick is to pretend that he doesn't exist. After a while, he would come out and hang.

Today, I did just that and he came over after a while! I must say that I was rather pleased. This didn't last for long though- when I tried to pat him, he got defensive and started clawing me. 

I rebounded in fear and my first instinct is to back off and run away and examine the 2 bleeding scratches on my feet. 

When I turned back, I saw Cat clawing the floor.

Like he can't help it..


Cat looked me in the eyes like he was feeling sorry for hurting me.. 

This makes me sad.

He must have had some past hurts in his past which made him so fearful of humans that a slight touch will trigger this response. This self-defense mechanism that was created to protect himself from harm. 


Walls, while they keep enemies out, won't let the right ones in.




I'm scared of getting close for fear that he'll hurt me again.

This selfishness makes me angry at myself.

I don't know what I can do to get to him.



I'll be losing sleep tonight.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 84:10

For a day in thy courts is better than a thousand I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness. It's been almost 500 days since I've left my full time job and man was it a journey.. thinking back of those days without my Lord, I really felt this verse speak to me. At first, guilt and shame overcame (more on that next time) - what did you do with these 500 days? What did you accomplish?  But God is gentle and kind - he spoke to me that 500 days on earth is no better than half a day in his courts. How many of us have had a bad half day? Does it affect the rest of our lives? Does it have an impact on eternity? If not, why should I let the enemy use guilt to over power me? A thousand days cannot compare to one day in your courts I'm forever yours <3

Chmel and friends - Fyona the healthy one

Once upon a time, in a vibrant town, Lived a girl named Chmel, never with a frown. She loved to explore and learn every day, With her friend Fyona, who showed her the way. Fyona was active, so healthy and strong, With her radiant smile, she could never go wrong. She'd wake up each morning, full of cheer, Ready for her daily workout, oh my dear! One sunny day, Chmel joined Fyona's quest, To discover why exercise is truly the best. They set off to the gym, with excitement in tow, To learn why being healthy makes our spirits glow. In the gym, Fyona showed Chmel around, Weights, treadmills, and yoga mats abound. She said, "Exercise keeps our bodies strong, It's a special gift that we all should prolong." Next, they stretched and reached for the stars, Fyona said, "Flexibility will take you far. It helps prevent injuries, keeps us agile and light, So we can dance and play, from morning till night." They practiced yoga, finding peace in each pose, Fyona whispe